Monday, June 21, 2010

What's for dinner? Grilled skirt steak, green salad with strawberries & baked potato


In honor of the first day of summer, I give you...Strawberries!  Since we are still stuck in this wet, cold funk, I wanted to share at least a beautiful picture that reminds me that summer should be just around the corner.  I picked up a flat of strawberries a couple of weeks ago at a steal of a deal AND they were perfect - only had two bad ones in the whole bunch!  I was hoping to make some strawberry jam, but didn't have the time, so, instead I dried them and will tuck them away for topping cereal next winter.

I dried 7 trays of plain, sliced strawberries and 2 trays of strawberry slices dipped in 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar + 2 Tbsp sugar (heat to boiling in microwave ~2 minutes, then mix strawberries into it, remove & dry).  YUM!  There were enough fresh strawberries left for the boys to snack on and then the rest inspired this meal...

Spinach, lettuce, arugula salad (from the garden!) with fresh strawberries, pecan bits and balsamic dressing, with baked potato and grilled skirt steak

No comments: