Friday, June 4, 2010

What's for dinner? Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo

Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo

When I first stumbled upon this recipe in Cooking Light, I immediately thought "Mmmm - that looks delicious!  Wow- it's already gluten-free!"  We love this recipe so much that even my husband frequently requests it (and he's quite fickle).
While the recipe calls for red onions to top, I'm not a fan, so I left them off.  I also substituted fresh arugula from my garden for the lettuce.

adapted from Cooking Light

Yield: 4 servings
Mayo:
1/4 c. Spectrum Canola Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced.

Chicken:
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbsp hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 1/2 oz baked tortilla chips (about 6 cups)
2 Tbsp olive oil

Remaining ingredients:
4 Rolls (I use Bette Hagman's Hamburger Bun recipe)
12 (1/8-inch-thick) red onion slices
4 lettuce leaves

Preparation:
To prepare mayo, combine first 4 ingredients.  Refrigerate.

To prepare chicken, combine egg substitute, hot sauce, oregano, and salt in a large zip-top plastic bag. Cut chicken breast halves in half horizontally to form 4 cutlets. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
Place tortilla chips in a food processor; process 1 minute or until ground. Place ground chips in a shallow dish.

Working with one cutlet at a time, remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Coat chicken completely in chips. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and chips.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and done. Spread mayo evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer bottom half of each roll with 3 onion slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and 1 chicken cutlet; top with top halves of rolls.

1 comment:

Danica said...

Another must do for J. I'll just do tofu steaks and I think I'll be good!

Do you ever do a ranch-y version of the mayo? I'm back to my ranch addiction. Go figure. At least it's a lot healthier version now, eh? I finally perfected my recipe. Tonight I made an avocado ranch spread. OMG, to die for.


Keep 'em coming, lady!