Friday, November 12, 2010

Snacks

Well, I thought I'd posted this at the beginning of the school year, but, in going back it looks like I only posted the ideas for the treat bags.  Since this topic came up the other day when talking with some other moms and, because frankly, I've been stuck in a rut with no snack ideas, here is a list of snack ideas for the kids' school days (or any time).

Snack Ideas
    *We are limited for snacks by keeping things simple and non-refrigerated/non-heated, so I only list those here.

  • apples (if cut, sprinkled with cinnamon or rubbed with lemon juice; occasionally with pb or a dip)
  • other fruits
  • fruit leather ( Stretch Island or homemade)
  • dried fruit
  • Tings
  • Ener-G Wylde pretzels
  • veggies (sometimes with peanut butter or hummus, which, by the way freezes in an ice cube tray perfectly)
  • breadsticks
  • bars: Lara, Boomi, Oskiri, Enjoy Life, Envirokids (most flavors), Trio, Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch
  • granola bites/bars (homemade)
  • popcorn (toppings here include: flaxseed oil, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder/chipotle powder or hot sauce, lemon juice; occasionally cinnamon & sugar)
  • Clif Twisted Fruit
  • rice crackers
  • graham crackers (homemade)
  • Fritos Scoops
  • potato chips
  • Mission tortilla chips
  • jerky (homemade as I haven't found one without soy)
  • cookies
  • muffins or quick breads
  • pancake with peanut butter
  • Super Fridge Fudge
  • cereal
  • trail mix (mix of whatever is handy: peanuts, nuts, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, cereal, dried fruit, chocolate chips)
Other ideas
     when refrigeration or portability is not an issue-
  • canned fruit
  • applesauce (cinnamon added on top)
  • sorbet
  • Jello or homemade gelatin
  • boiled egg
  • pudding (homemade)
What are your favorites that I've missed?  I'm always looking for new ideas!

2 comments:

Medifast said...

Thanks for the snack ideas and links to some of the recipes.
We have to be very aware of our school snacks, no peanuts allowed, and I find I have to make homemade more so because of the ingredients of store bought and the un-known factor of what is in the snacks.

Raechel said...

Nut free is tricky. I've been very thankful that we have not had problems with them, ourselves. This year my son's teacher has a nut allergy, and while she doesn't mind if the kids bring nut products, my son has been adamant that he not bring them for snack time which has taken some adjustment on my part. Remember that seeds work great to replace nuts in most recipes - we use pepitas (pumpkin seeds without the shell) a lot, also some sunflower seeds.