Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pie crust

A friend requested a recipe for pie crust, so I thought I'd post it.  I figured that surely I would have a picture of a pie I've made to go along with the recipe, but lo and behold - nada.  Anyway, here's the recipe I use most often and I'll post an actual pie soon.

Vinegar Pastry (Revised)
by Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-free Gourmet"

1 c. white rice flour (*I use brown rice flour)
3/4 c. tapioca flour
3/4 c. corn starch
1 rounded tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3/4 c. shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 to 3 Tbsp ice water

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.  Cut in the shortening.  Blend together the beaten egg, vinegar and cold water.  Stir into the flour mixture, holding back some, until the pastry holds together and forms a ball.  (Kneading will not toughen this pastry.)

Form two balls and place in a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Remove and roll one ball at a time between 2 sheets of plastic wrap that have been dusted with sweet rice flour.  To place in pie tin:  Remove top sheet and, using the other for ease of handling, invert the dough and drop it into the pan.  Shape it into the curves before removing the second piece of plastic wrap.  For a crust to be used later, bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.  For a filled pie, follow directions for that pie.


Makes two 9" crusts or a double-crusted pie.

No comments: