Monday, December 6, 2010

Soup Season...

I've been making a lot of soups lately, with the cold, snowy weather.  Ah, comfort food.



White Chicken Chili

I love this recipe from Our Best Bites for white chicken chili.  Obviously, to make it gf/sf/df, watch the brand of chicken broth you use and skip the sour cream and cheese.  Last winter I had home-canned chicken and chicken broth on hand and pre-cooked beans in the freezer, so this was one of my quickest go-to meals.


Corn Chowder

Not really a recipe to share because this is one of those "toss together until it looks good" meals.  This has always been one of my favorite soups and I thought I was going to have to give it up when we went dairy-free.  However,  I think this satisfies the craving (and probably saves some calories over the original version). 

Forgive the lack of more precise measurements...
bacon, diced and cooked (could be skipped if you want vegetarian/vegan)
lots of potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled
onion, diced and sauteed, or onion powder
milk substitute, optional (gives it a richer color, but can be made without & just use water with bouillon or broth; I sometimes use fresh-made cashew milk)
creamed corn
salt & pepper, to taste
chives to top, optional

Once the potatoes are boiled, add the liquid of your choice and puree about half of the mix.  You can do this in a blender or food processor, but I prefer to use my immersion blender to keep the mess to a minimum.  Add the onion, bacon (if using), and creamed corn.  Adjust seasonings to suit.  If you want a thicker soup, you can mix some cornstarch with cold water and add to the soup, stirring carefully.


 

No comments: