Thursday, February 21, 2013

Waffles

I've always loved waffles. When I was little, my family would enjoy brunch with our friends Bill and Mary.  They lived, at the time, in a large, canvas, Army tent, which alone made it a memorable event.  However, the homemade waffles, often slathered with honey from our own bees was something truly delightful.
After that time had passed, waffles became a less frequent indulgence.  We had a heavy, cast iron waffle iron that we'd occasionally pull down and cook waffles over the wood-burning kitchen stove, but that was a rare event.  More often we turned to the easier-made pancake for weekend breakfasts.
In my adult life, I've owned cheap waffle irons that sort-of did the job, but not very well - always leaving me frustrated and missing the waffles of my childhood.  A couple of months ago, I decided enough was enough!  The waffles had stuck to the iron so badly that unless it could have been soaked, the waffle bits were not coming off.  I hate to spend money on new kitchen gadgets and this one seemed rather frivolous, but after a week or so, I broke down and splurged.  I spent lots of time reading reviews and comparing models; weighing the pros and cons.  I finally settled on this beauty - the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker


I love that this iron makes two waffles at once!  Makes feeding the family (and making extras) SO much quicker.  Now it's actually feasible to make waffles, rather than it being an all-morning affair.

I make a large batch of waffles - about 14-16, which will give us two meals worth (the boys can really put these away!).  This waffle iron makes 7"across x 1"wide waffles, so you'll get a lot more waffles if you're using a standard waffle iron.



Waffles
by Raechel Medina
makes 14-16 large waffles

2 c. brown rice flour
1 c. sorghum flour
1 c. corn starch
1 c. tapioca starch
5 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (optional; if you leave it out, the batter will be very runny - use less per waffle)
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil
6 eggs
5 c. water + 2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix all dry ingredients in large mixer bowl.  Add oil, eggs, water and lemon juice.  Mix well, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl once, then beat for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, heat up your waffle iron.  When fully heated, measure batter according to your iron and cook the waffles.  Enjoy!
Waffles can be frozen for quick breakfasts - ours never last that long, though.  We'll save extras for the next day and give them a quick re-heat on the waffle iron to re-crisp them.


No comments: