Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Amazing ginger cookies


Soft, chewy ginger cookies

I recently stumbled across a recipe for soft and chewy ginger cookies on www.the-baker-chick.com.  I feared that they would be overwhelmingly sharp with ginger, but decided to try them anyway.  Good thing I did - I think I've found my new favorite cookie (or one of them, anyway)!  Here's my gf adaptation of her recipe:

Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
www.the-baker-chick.com; adapted for gf/df by Raechel Medina
Yield: 4 dozen


2 1/4 cups gf flour mix (I used Four Flour Bean Mix)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup Spectrum shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup candied ginger chopped into bits.
2 tablespoons raw sugar for rolling (white sugar works too)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt and xanthan gum. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg,
then mix in the water and molasses.
Gradually mix the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Stir in the candied ginger.
Chill dough for 15 minutes to make it easier to handle.
Shape dough into 1 inch sized balls or use a 1 1/2 Tablespoon scoop, and roll them in the raw sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for
5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

eRecipe said...

I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!